Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1495 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Change
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 pm 

Food Stamp Rolls Have Doubled To 47 Million Over Last 10 Years
Filed under: Stories that make Barry smile.

Quote:
BOSTON, Oct. 27 (UPI) — Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program has more than doubled in the past decade even during times of economic growth, U.S. researchers say.

SNAP enrollment in the last 10 years more than doubled to 47 million but, for the first time, the number of Americans receiving food stamps increased even when the economy was growing.

During the 2003-07 expansion, the SNAP case load, — in a break with historic trends — rose 24 percent, the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College reported. CRC economists Matt Rutledge and April Yanyuan Wu said one reason is a change in the longstanding correlation between poverty and the unemployment rate.

Poverty used to fall in tandem with the jobless rate, reducing the need for food s

tamps but the researchers found poverty did not decline as the economy grew in the mid-2000s — and in the recovery following the Great Recession, the number of people receiving food stamps kept rising.

The assumption has always been a stronger labor market would reduce the need for food stamps, the economists said, but the new trend suggests rising employment might no longer be enough.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:54 am 

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:24 am 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:22 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

EXACTLY ! I had a friend who escaped from Cuba when Castro took over. IMO, obama is going by Castro's playbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:28 pm 

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:26 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:

The numbers tanked when he got elected, even before he took office. So, they have come up, as he is now a lame duck president.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 am 

Just running with the topic:

GOP split in Mississippi over tea party's McDaniel spreads to national party
Quote:
The prolonged aftermath of the runoff has left Mississippi gasping for air, and has produced schisms within the Republican National Committee and even in another state’s GOP.

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-split-mississippi-over-tea-partys-mcdaniel-spreads-175122952.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
The numbers tanked when he got elected, even before he took office. So, they have come up, as he is now a lame duck president.

Exactly...Who was the former pres. that left him in those numbers???...
...and speaking of a lamer what did the past lame duck president leave him (us) with...to name a few: TARP...Iraq..Afghanistan.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 am 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 pm 

New Record: Total US Debt Rises Over $18 TRILLION

Up 70% under Obama

Quote:
Last week, total US debt was a meager $17,963,753,617,957.26. Two days later, as updated today, on Black Friday, total outstanding US public debt just hit a new historic level which probably would be better associated with a red color: as of the last work day of November, total US public debt just surpassed $18 trillion for the first time, or $18,005,549,328,561.45 to be precise, of which debt held by the public rose to $12,922,681,725,432.94, an increase of $32 billion in one day.

It also means that total US debt to nominal GDP as of Sept 30, which was $17.555 trillion, is now 103%. Keep in mind this GDP number was artificially increased by about half a trillion dollars a year ago thanks to the “benefit” of R&D and intangibles. Without said definitional change, debt/GDP would now be about 106%.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:25 am 

Price of Meat, Chicken, Fish, and Eggs Hits Record High

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:55 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

The prices are higher, and the weight is less. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:39 pm 

Montage: 140 Unfulfilled Obama Promises from Past SOTU Addresses

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:51 am 

Bernie Sanders Says He Will Work With Trump

Felt the Bern.

Sen. Bernie Sanders campaigned hard for Hillary Clinton in the final weeks leading up to Tuesday’s election, but the next day he expressed his empathy with the anger that won Donald Trump the White House and offered to work with the president-elect on policies that benefit working families.

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media,” Sanders said in a statement Wednesday. “People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids — all while the very rich become much richer.”

The economic frustrations of working-class Americans were the dominant theme of Sander’s primary campaign against Clinton. Some critics have said that Sanders would have been a stronger candidate against Trump that Clinton because he understood that working-class anger.

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1495 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next