Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tales of Socalized Health Care
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 am 

I noticed a lot of stories covering nightmare tales from socialized health care coming from Canada and England, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread for our communist friends and overlords to see what the future my be like if they get their wish.

Woman gives birth on pavement 'after being refused ambulance'

A young mother gave birth on a pavement outside a hospital after she was told to make her own way there.

Mother-of-three Carmen Blake called her midwife to ask for an ambulance when she went into labour unexpectedly with her fourth child.

But the 27-year-old claims she was refused an ambulance and told to walk the 100m from her house in Leicester to the city's nearby Royal Infirmary.

Her daughter Mariah was delivered on a pavement outside the hospital by a passer-by, just before ambulance crews arrived.

Today the Trust that runs the hospital said it would look into any complaint made about the advice and care the 27-year-old received.

Ms Blake said she started going into labour at about 7.15am on Sunday, August 2.

She said: "I phoned up the Royal Infirmary, it's just across the road, and they said to go into a hot bath, and then to make my way over there.

"I went into the bath and realised she was going to come quickly. I didn't think I'd be able to make it out of the bath, so I phoned the maternity ward back and told them to get an ambulance out.

'They said they were not sending an ambulance and told me I had had nine months to sort out a lift.'

Experienced mother Ms Blake today said she knew she had to get herself out of the bath and try to get to the hospital.

'The friends with me would have had no idea what to do. I knew at that point that she was nearly here so I had to get out of the house,' she said.

'I thought if I got across the road then at least somebody would be able to help me.

'I left the house and got to the end of the close, but there was no-one around to help.'

Eventually Ms Blake and her friends enlisted the help of a physiotherapist who happened to be passing on her way to work.

She dialled 999 and helped deliver baby Mariah while waiting for emergency services.

She even helped remove the cord from around the tot's neck, Ms Blake said today.

She said: 'I don't really remember much after that. Mariah was born, then the paramedics arrived then after that the midwives arrived. I think I went into shock.

'It's just lucky that the physio was there.'

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Tales of Socalized Health Care
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:00 pm 

Hey Freetime, you've gotta lotta health problems . . . right?

Thousands of surgeries may be cut in Metro Vancouver, leaked paper reveals

VANCOUVER — Vancouver patients needing neurosurgery, treatment for vascular diseases and other medically necessary procedures (Please be Freetime, Please be Freetime) can expect to wait longer for care, NDP health critic Adrian Dix said Monday.

Dix said a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority document shows it is considering chopping more than 6,000 surgeries in an effort to make up for a dramatic budgetary shortfall that could reach $200 million.

“This hasn’t been announced by the health authority … but these cuts are coming,” Dix said, citing figures gleaned from a leaked executive summary of “proposed VCH surgical reductions.”

The health authority confirmed the document is genuine, but said it represents ideas only.

“It is a planning document. It has not been approved or implemented,” said spokeswoman Anna Marie D’Angelo.

Dr. Brian Brodie, president of the BC Medical Association, called the proposed surgical cuts “a nightmare.”

“Why would you begin your cost-cutting measures on medically necessary surgery? I just can’t think of a worse place,” Brodie said.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm 

I think you may be missing the point. No where in the bill does it state that everyone is to put on a government health care plan. According to what I read if you are currently covered under a plan, you are not forced to join a government health plan. That is part of the hysteria card that the GnOP is playing.

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm 

Since all the neos on this board just keep saying no no no to everything that is put forth, I checked the GnOP's proposed plan. Here is what I read in the first paragraph of their plan:
Quote:
Under the health care proposal the GOP released Wednesday, you are fully entitled to spend your own money in the free market to purchase health insurance, a chief backer of the plan, Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), said.

This is the part I found especially interesting:
Quote:
Under the rubric of choice, the plan treats employer-based health insurance as income and taxes a worker's benefits. If it costs an employer $12,000 to cover your health care, for instance, you'd be responsible to pay taxes on that $12,000 as if it were paid out to you.

So I guess since it came from the repubs you are for that plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
I think you may be missing the point. No where in the bill does it state that everyone is to put on a government health care plan. According to what I read if you are currently covered under a plan, you are not forced to join a government health plan.

Maybe you don't have to join it, but you still have to pay for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:17 pm 

Robin Banks wrote:
chuckmo48 wrote:
I think you may be missing the point. No where in the bill does it state that everyone is to put on a government health care plan. According to what I read if you are currently covered under a plan, you are not forced to join a government health plan.

Indeed.

And it IS in the bill. In very plain and simple language actually.

:smt006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
I think you may be missing the point. No where in the bill does it state that everyone is to put on a government health care plan. According to what I read if you are currently covered under a plan, you are not forced to join a government health plan. That is part of the hysteria card that the GnOP is playing.

A public plan using artificially low payments to providers causes cost shifting to privately insured patients. Those rising costs drive up their premiums and force more and more citizens into the public plan. Until the actuarial pools are too small for private insurers to cease to exist. It doesn't have to be written to be the end game of the democrat led healthcare proposal. They know exactly what they are doing ......

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574356560765324476.html

Quote:
Yet the public option wasn't some afterthought, or merely the obsession of Congress's leftward fringe. A new government-run program would crowd out private insurers by undercutting them on consumer prices, courtesy of an intravenous drip of taxpayer dollars and its monopsony power to force doctors and hospitals to accept sub-market rates. As millions of people gravitated toward "free" coverage, the public option would also vastly expand federal management of the practice of medicine, shaping the treatments and care patients can receive to save on costs.

Some liberals were honest, or used to be honest, about where all this would lead. Barney Frank noted the main reason Democrats were not backing a total government takeover: "We don't have the votes for it. I wish we did. I think if we had a good public option it would lead to single payer." Then there's Mr. Obama's now famous 2003 remarks: "I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health-care program. . . . But as all of you know, we may not get there immediately."

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm 

sorry...check on anyone born AFTER 1987 and see what the rules are for them

It will eventually lead to ALL private insurance going bye bye...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm 

Over 45,000 NHS (UK) staff call in sick each day

Over 45,000 NHS staff call in sick every day, which is lowering standards of patient care, according to the first national NHS Health and Wellbeing Review into staff habits.

The independent review found Improving the health and well-being of 1.4 million NHS staff could potentially save over half a billion pounds every year.

Annual NHS sickness levels are 10.7 days a year per employee - higher than the public sector average of 9.7 days and 50 per cent higher than the private sector average of 6.4 days.

The NHS loses 10.3 million working days annually due to sickness absence alone, costing £1.7 billion per year.

"A reduction of a third would mean an extra 3.4 million working days a year, and annual direct cost savings of over half a billion pounds (£555 million)," the study said.

The interim report from the NHS Health and Wellbeing Review is published by occupational health expert Dr Steve Boorman.

He was asked by the Department of Health earlier this year to lead the review.

He found that while many NHS workers drink in moderation, more than one in five of them smokes, including heavy and casual smokers.

Only around half of NHS staff exercise on three days or more each week.

When it comes to staff sickness, the review found that those who worked more than eight hours a day had higher rates, as well as those who felt pressure to return to work.

Women were more likely to report in sick, alongside those who had worked for the NHS for a long time.

The review found that while NHS workers were more likely to pick up illness and infections through their work, this could not explain all of the higher rates of absence.

It said: "Nearly half of all NHS staff absence is accounted for by musculoskeletal disorders, and more than a quarter by stress, depression and anxiety."

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:27 pm 

CANADIAN SYSTEM: Thousands of surgeries may be cut in Vancouver

Thousands of surgeries may be cut in Metro Vancouver due to government underfunding, leaked paper

VANCOUVER — Vancouver patients needing neurosurgery, treatment for vascular diseases and other medically necessary procedures can expect to wait longer for care, NDP health critic Adrian Dix said Monday.

Dix said a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority document shows it is considering chopping more than 6,000 surgeries in an effort to make up for a dramatic budgetary shortfall that could reach $200 million.

“This hasn’t been announced by the health authority … but these cuts are coming,” Dix said, citing figures gleaned from a leaked executive summary of “proposed VCH surgical reductions.”

The health authority confirmed the document is genuine, but said it represents ideas only.

“It is a planning document. It has not been approved or implemented,” said spokeswoman Anna Marie D’Angelo.

Dr. Brian Brodie, president of the BC Medical Association, called the proposed surgical cuts “a nightmare.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:11 pm 

USMarine wrote:
Robin Banks wrote:
chuckmo48 wrote:

Indeed.

...and how is the government health insurance you have doing, and who is paying for that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 am 

chuckmo48 wrote:
...and how is the government health insurance you have doing, and who is paying for that?

go ask that fat tub slob Ted Kennedy...

he's getting the best treatment that YOUR MONEY can buy...

and while you're at it ask him why WE THE PEOPLE can't have the same plan....

ask him and all the rest of the scumbags in D.C......

what makes them so special?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 pm 

The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets

Women are giving birth outside of the wards

Maternity crisis: Women are giving birth in lifts and even toilets

Thousands of women are having to give birth outside maternity wards because of a lack of midwives and hospital beds.

The lives of mothers and babies are being put at risk as births in locations ranging from lifts to toilets - even a caravan - went up 15 per cent last year to almost 4,000.

Health chiefs admit a lack of maternity beds is partly to blame for the crisis, with hundreds of women in labour being turned away from hospitals because they are full.

Latest figures show that over the past two years there were at least:

* 63 births in ambulances and 608 in transit to hospitals;
* 117 births in A&E departments, four in minor injury units and two in medical assessment areas;
* 115 births on other hospital wards and 36 in other unspecified areas including corridors;
* 399 in parts of maternity units other than labour beds, including postnatal and antenatal wards and reception areas.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm 

Man collapses with ruptured appendix... three weeks after NHS doctors 'took it out'

By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 12:15 AM on 26th August 2009

After weeks of excruciating pain, Mark Wattson was understandably relieved to have his appendix taken out.

Doctors told him the operation was a success and he was sent home.

But only a month later the 35-year-old collapsed in agony and had to be taken back to Great Western Hospital in Swindon by ambulance.

To his shock, surgeons from the same team told him that not only was his appendix still inside him, but it had ruptured - a potentially fatal complication.

In a second operation it was finally removed, leaving Mr Wattson fearing another organ might have been taken out during the first procedure.

The blunder has left Mr Wattson jobless, as bosses at the shop where he worked did not believe his story and sacked him.

Mr Wattson told of the moment he realised there had been a serious mistake.

'I was lying on a stretcher in terrible pain and a doctor came up to me and said that my appendix had burst,' he said.

'I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told these people I had my appendix out just four weeks earlier but there it was on the scanner screen for all to see.

'I thought, "What the hell did they slice me open for in the first place?"

'I feel that if the surgery had been done correctly in the first place I wouldn't be in the mess I am today. I'm disgusted by the whole experience.'

Mr Wattson first went under the knife on July 7 after experiencing severe abdominal pain for several weeks. He was discharged but exactly a month later he had to dial 999 after collapsing in agony.

Following the second operation his incision became infected and he was admitted to hospital for a third time for treatment.

He said: 'I had a temporary job at a sports shop but when I took in two medical certificates saying I had my appendix out twice they didn't believe me.

'Now I'm helpless. I can't go out and find a job, I can't go to interviews, I can barely walk and am in constant pain. Before the first operation they told me I had to have my appendix removed and when I woke up afterwards they said it had been a complete success.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:16 pm 

Kennedy/ObamaCare coming soon to a neglected patient near you...... :smt006

Quote:
'Cruel and neglectful' care of one million NHS patients exposed

One million NHS patients have been the victims of appalling care in hospitals across Britain, according to a major report released today.

By Rebecca Smith, Medical Editor
Published: 12:01AM BST 27 Aug 2009

In the last six years, the Patients Association claims hundreds of thousands have suffered from poor standards of nursing, often with 'neglectful, demeaning, painful and sometimes downright cruel' treatment.

The charity has disclosed a horrifying catalogue of elderly people left in pain, in soiled bed clothes, denied adequate food and drink, and suffering from repeatedly cancelled operations, missed diagnoses and dismissive staff.

The Patients Association said the dossier proves that while the scale of the scandal at Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust - where up to 1,200 people died through failings in urgent care - was a one off, there are repeated examples they have uncovered of the same appalling standards throughout the NHS.

While the criticisms cover all aspects of hospital care, the treatment and attitude of nurses stands out as a repeated theme across almost all of the cases.

They have called on Government and the Care Quality Commission to conduct an urgent review of standards of basic hospital care and to enforce stricter supervision and regulation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... posed.html