Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Like I said...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:20 pm 

there WILL BE a health care bill signed & THERE WILL BE a public option.
This WILL make the rabid right wingnuts go.....nuts :smt005
Quote:
Senate health bill to include public option
States will be given the option of 'opting out' of the plan

Scott Sady / AP
Majority Leader Harry Reid noted that polls show widespread public support for giving the government a role in the overhauled health care system envisioned by President Barack Obama and his allies in Congress.
WASHINGTON - Majority Leader Harry Reid says health care legislation headed to the Senate floor will include an option for government-run insurance.

Reid says states will have the prerogative of opting out of the program if they choose.

Reid noted that polls show widespread public support for giving the government a role in the overhauled health care system envisioned by President Barack Obama and his allies in Congress.

Whooo hooo!

Can't wait for rhe right wing nuts to 'froth at the mouth' & go 'apoplectic.'....LOL

Damn, it feels good to be a Democrat

Post subject: Re: Like I said...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:11 pm 

Despite the fact that the republicans in congress do not want any kind of health care reform, this is WHY there will be a public option.
Republicans who have been bought & paid for by the insurance industry have absolutely no problem with 160 percent rate increases.

Quote:
Small Business Faces Sharp Rise in Costs of Health Care
By REED ABELSON
As Congress nears votes on legislation that would overhaul the health care system, many small businesses say they are facing the steepest rise in insurance premiums they have seen in recent years.

Insurance brokers and benefits consultants say their small business clients are seeing premiums go up an average of about 15 percent for the coming year — double the rate of last year’s increases. That would mean an annual premium that was $4,500 per employee in 2008 and $4,800 this year would rise to $5,500 in 2010.

The higher premiums at least partly reflect the inexorable rise of medical costs, which is forcing Medicare to raise premiums, too. Health insurance bills are also rising for big employers, but because they have more negotiating clout, their increases are generally not as steep....

The House speaker, Nancy Pelosi of California, said the sharp rise in premiums for small businesses offered the latest evidence that Congress must act swiftly on health care legislation.

“This underlines the urgent need for health insurance reform, including a public option,” she said in an interview. “We need to have competition for the insurance companies to keep premiums down.”

Like the insurers, Republican lawmakers, who portray themselves as champions of small business, argue that the proposed legislation would raise premiums across the board because sick people would be more likely to enroll than healthy people...

...Edward Kaplan, a consultant with the Segal Company, said his clients were seeing renewals for coverage at prices 15 to 23 percent higher this year. Last year, he said, they typically faced increases of 7 to 12 percent.

The brokers and consultants say the price jumps seem hard to justify. “Frankly, I’m mystified by the size of the increases,” said one broker, Charles J. Newman, who works with small employers in the New York area.

Some say the threat of an overhaul may be at least part of the reason. Joshua Miley, a consultant with HighRoads, which analyzes benefit information for employers, said the “undercurrent of health reform is driving part of the renewal increases.”

HighRoads projects that premiums will rise 14.4 percent for an individual in a health maintenance organization plan at a typical small employer.

There is no question that insurers are under pressure from Wall Street. In recent years, insurers were often not quick enough to raise their premiums well above the rising cost of medical care.

But they have heard from angry investors disappointed by the companies’ earnings.

“There’s no one out there who hasn’t had to do a mea culpa to Wall Street,” said Sheryl Skolnick, an analyst for Pali Capital who follows the companies. While the industry is particularly vulnerable now in Washington, she said, “it seems like they’re more afraid of Wall Street.”

Michael A. Turpin, a former senior executive for UnitedHealth, the insurer, and now a top official at USI Holdings, an insurance brokerage firm, said insurers were now “under so much pressure to post earnings, they’re going to make hay while the sun is shining.”

...Small businesses, besides having less negotiating leverage than big employers, tend to pay more for the same coverage because they cannot spread the cost of expensive medical conditions or hospitalizations over large numbers of workers. Premiums can be especially high if they have sick or older workers.

Owners of small companies say the lack of options is why they have been paying increasingly higher premiums for less and less coverage — this year perhaps more than ever.

In August, when Walter Rowen, who owns Susquehanna Glass in Columbia, Pa., sought to renew his company’s coverage for two dozen employees, he said his insurer demanded a 160 percent rate increase. Mr. Rowen said he was told his work force was “getting too old and very expensive.”

Mr. Rowen said his insurance broker found that any other health plan was likely to charge 30 to 50 percent more than he paid last year. He chose a less generous plan from a different carrier for 44 percent more

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/busin ... ealth.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 pm 

The public option Congress is going to pass is a great start towards what we really need to do, adopt a Single-Payer system.
http://madashelldoctors.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:38 pm 

Quote:
Obama Ends U.S. Travel Ban On Visitors, Immigrants With HIV-AIDS
ABC News, by Rachel Martin

Starting Monday, foreigners with HIV-AIDS will be able to travel or immigrate to the United States without having to get a waiver from the Department of Homeland Security. Today President Obama eliminated a travel ban that had been in place since 1993, forbidding people with HIV-AIDS from travelling to the US.

Any idea how much this is goingcost the US health system?

and guess who will get treated first

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:41 pm 

I agree with you, Moby. I say let them in only if they can prove they can afford their treatment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 pm 

Read and heard the same today...I have to admit I do not agree with that decision.

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)