Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New I-65 Interchange
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:06 pm 

Anyone know when construction of the new interchange for I-65 at 109th will begin?

Post subject: Re: New I-65 Interchange
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 pm 

With C.P. at helm, 109th ready to roll

February 11, 2007

By letting Crown Point take the lead on designing the new Interstate 65 interchange at 109th Avenue, the Indiana Department of Transportation is ensuring the project will finish at least seven years sooner than it would if the state had handled it.

The $17.7 million project will start in summer 2008 and should finish by late 2009.

If INDOT handled the design engineering, the agency wouldn't be able to finish until at least 2015 because it has so many other projects on tap, said Bill Meeks, Crown Point's engineer.

"They have literally hundreds of thousands of projects to shepherd, so we went to INDOT and volunteered to take the lead. It's easy for us to devote attention to the project and push it along to make it happen," he said.

Though municipally led projects of that magnitude are rare, INDOT granted permission. It helped that Meeks used to work for the state agency.

"He is very good. We have a lot of confidence in him," said INDOT spokesman Gary Abell. "We know this project is very important, and we felt comfortable with their ability to move forward with doing it. We don't want it to wait another 10 years."

An interchange at 109th Avenue is important for Crown Point because the city's east side is growing quickly. Drivers currently have to access I-65 by driving south to U.S. 231 or battling traffic at busy U.S. 30.

The interchange will also promote more commercial growth along Broadway, Meeks said.

The city is negotiating a contract with URS, one of the world's largest design engineering firms, to handle the project. The federal government will pay for 80 percent of the cost, and the state will pay the rest.

The plan is for a spread diamond configuration, which features straight ramps and stoplights rather than loops like the cloverleaf at U.S. 30.

Though loops can handle more traffic, straight ramps are easier for drivers, Meeks said. The 109th interchange won't be as busy as U.S. 30 so a loop configuration isn't necessary, he said.

The Federal Highway Administration said INDOT was OK to allow Crown Point to take control of the project, said FHA division administra

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:29 am 

Thanks for posting the article. I haven't seen any work being started, and it was supposed to begin this summer. Have you heard of a delay?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:44 pm 

Robin, Bill Meeks was fired. I don't think it's even on the radar with Tris Miles (fired from Town of Merrillville) & Jeff Ban. They are too busy planning the new Taj Mahal for the mayor to work in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:17 am 

Thanks for the update, Dick. It's a shame the project isn't moving forward at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:36 pm 

I-65 crews in C.P. to halt soon for winter

109th Avenue will close when weather breaks to allow interchange work

By Kathleen Quilligan - kathleen.quilligan@nwi.com, (219) 662-5331 | Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:05 am | No Comments Posted

CROWN POINT | Although snow has fallen, crews working on the new Interstate 65 interchange at 109th Avenue will be on the job about one more week before they pause for the winter.

The interchange is still on schedule to be completed late in the summer or early fall, Indiana Department of Transportation spokesman Joshua Bingham said Friday. Construction started in August, and work on embankments in all four quadrants of the interchange either has been completed or started.

After the winter break, Bingham said crews will finish all the ramp work and the acceleration and deceleration lanes. Work also will be done on 109th, reconstructing and widening parts of the road to add entrances and exits.

Bingham said 109th will be closed for about 60 days when the winter weather breaks, likely in April.

Last December, Bingham said officials originally estimated construction would begin early in August, but the state had to delay it because the city hadn't acquired the right of way.

The project has been in the works since 2002. It was fast-tracked with help from $10 million in federal grants. Crown Point also helped accelerate the project by paying some of the expenses, which the state reimbursed.

The Federal Highway Administration will pay 80 percent of the project, with INDOT covering the rest.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke