Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crown Point lands sprawling sports complex
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm 

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
As he should be. He is a private businessman who invested his own money to build his business. He pays taxes and is now faced with competition from a business that is given free land, pays no property taxes and is going to receive millions of dollars of taxpayer support. I guess in your world, that's OK.

tell me jerkwad....how is that any different from obamacare?

I'll bet you a dollar old sparky won't give you a direct answer to that question.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm 

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
As he should be. He is a private businessman who invested his own money to build his business. He pays taxes and is now faced with competition from a business that is given free land, pays no property taxes and is going to receive millions of dollars of taxpayer support. I guess in your world, that's OK.

Very good question, Moby.
sparks:
Have ye an answer?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:19 pm 

happy jack wrote:
Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:

Very good question, Moby.
sparks:
Have ye an answer?

he ain't got the balls to answer it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 am 

Politician's R Liars wrote:
sparks wrote:
sparks wrote:
Former baseball player and current baseball instructor Dave Griffin, who runs a facility in Griffith, warned that an area oversaturated with indoor facilities could leave some areas boarded up.
USMarine wrote:

LMAO...>!!!!!!!!

Gee, I wonder why the competition would be worried...?
Seems like Dave Griffin is worried about one thing and one thing only, his bottom line.
:smt005 :smt006

Well I don't think to many people can argue with that, but they will just because they don't like you and can't see between the lines. In the past we certainly have not seen eye to eye, but I have to agree with you on this one, and in my world that is not ok! ....but please tell me you're not an Obama fan?

I laugh like hell knowing how much energy the posters who don't like me spend disagreeing with every post I make. Their lives must really suck if all they have to do with their time is argue with others on a message board 24/7.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:29 am 

sparks wrote:
I laugh like hell knowing how much energy the posters who don't like me spend disagreeing with every post I make. Their lives must really suck if all they have to do with their time is argue with others on a message board 24/7. [/b]

The humorous part is that you see it as all those that disagree with with you, instead of all those YOU DISAGREE WITH.

YOU are actually the one who has the problem and stands out as the loser.

Just ask anyone except yourself.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:41 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:

I'll bet you a dollar old sparky won't give you a direct answer to that question.

BUMP

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 am 

Bo gets to know the region

Former two-sports star, Uran tout proposed C.P. sports complex

By Jeff Burton - jeff.burton@nwi.com, (219) 933-3246 | Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 12:05 am

CHICAGO | One-time White Sox slugger Bo Jackson was back in Chicago on Saturday night, this time drumming up enthusiasm for the proposed Crown Point sports complex that will bear his name.

Jackson, who played both baseball and football professionally, was among Crown Point Mayor David Uran's guests at a reception at the downtown Fairmont Hotel, prior to the Indiana Society of Chicago's annual dinner. The proposed Bo Jackson Legacy Athletic Center is set to open its doors in 2011, and feature athletic space for tournaments and leagues for both youths and adults.

Jackson said he's confident the Crown Point location will be a success and draw people from around the region to use the field house and courts.

"It's a situation where if you build it they will come," Jackson said. "People will come and they'll come out of the woodwork."

Jackson said communities around the country are finding that residents want a positive atmosphere for recreational exercise, especially in the winter months, and said the Crown Point facility will feature the best sports programs offered.

"That is the only way I'll put my name on it," Jackson said.

Uran said the proposed field house structure will be a boon for his community.

"It's a family atmosphere, and that's what Crown Point is, a family," Uran said. "This is good for the community. It gets kids off the streets and it provides positive development for our community and our children."

The $16 million project, a public-private partnership, calls for two buildings on a 91-acre parcel between North and South streets owned by the city, the former site of a municipal water plant.

One building will house Crown Point Parks and Recreation Department offices, a community room, athletic apparel store and food court. Another building will be a 155,904-square foot dome with space for two full size baseball and softball fields, four soccer fields, four youth football fields, four full-sized basketball courts and eight full-sized volleyball courts.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Bo gets to know the region

Former two-sports star, Uran tout proposed C.P. sports complex

By Jeff Burton - jeff.burton@nwi.com, (219) 933-3246 | Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 12:05 am

CHICAGO | One-time White Sox slugger Bo Jackson was back in Chicago on Saturday night, this time drumming up enthusiasm for the proposed Crown Point sports complex that will bear his name.

Jackson, who played both baseball and football professionally, was among Crown Point Mayor David Uran's guests at a reception at the downtown Fairmont Hotel, prior to the Indiana Society of Chicago's annual dinner. The proposed Bo Jackson Legacy Athletic Center is set to open its doors in 2011, and feature athletic space for tournaments and leagues for both youths and adults.

Jackson said he's confident the Crown Point location will be a success and draw people from around the region to use the field house and courts.

"It's a situation where if you build it they will come," Jackson said. "People will come and they'll come out of the woodwork."

Jackson said communities around the country are finding that residents want a positive atmosphere for recreational exercise, especially in the winter months, and said the Crown Point facility will feature the best sports programs offered.

"That is the only way I'll put my name on it," Jackson said.

Uran said the proposed field house structure will be a boon for his community.

"It's a family atmosphere, and that's what Crown Point is, a family," Uran said. "This is good for the community. It gets kids off the streets and it provides positive development for our community and our children."

The $16 million project, a public-private partnership, calls for two buildings on a 91-acre parcel between North and South streets owned by the city, the former site of a municipal water plant.

One building will house Crown Point Parks and Recreation Department offices, a community room, athletic apparel store and food court. Another building will be a 155,904-square foot dome with space for two full size baseball and softball fields, four soccer fields, four youth football fields, four full-sized basketball courts and eight full-sized volleyball courts.

If it's such a wonderful plan, then why can't Bo Jackson arrange financing for it himself, instead of asking for the taxpayers to underwrite a $4 million bond and assume responsibility for the very expensive monthly cost to heat and light a structure that size? It would be much cheaper for the citizens of Crown Point to pay Bo's personal appearance fees so Uran can hang out with him instead of spending millions like this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:18 pm 

sparks wrote:
If it's such a wonderful plan, then why can't Bo Jackson arrange financing for it himself, instead of asking for the taxpayers to underwrite a $4 million bond and assume responsibility for the very expensive monthly cost to heat and light a structure that size? It would be much cheaper for the citizens of Crown Point to pay Bo's personal appearance fees so Uran can hang out with him instead of spending millions like this.
No.1 You live in Hammond (not Crown Point)
No.2 Why do you care?
No.3 Why bother us, with your concerns?
No.4 Will you be measuring the turf at the complex?
No.5 After this thing is built, YOU will have your nose so far up Bo Jackson's a$$, you'll be measuring his lawn, too.
No.6 Are you still on SlimFast?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:06 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:

ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER THE QUESTION SPARKY?

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:06 pm 

sparks wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 pm 

C.P. to Bo: Let's build two

Updated plan for Elite Sports complex call for second dome

As baseball coach J.R. Veliz looked over his roster, his players pushed on the walls of the air-supported dome that surrounded them, marveling as the walls bounced back into shape.

"This thing is unbelievable," said Veliz, who coaches a traveling baseball team of 11-year-olds from Kendal County, Ill. "You don't believe it until you see it."

It was the first time Veliz and his team had been in the Bo Jackson Elite Sports complex in Lockport, and they were impressed.

The Crown Point officials in ongoing talks to bring one of Jackson's domed facilities to Lake County were impressed, too. So much, that they're now thinking they want two domes.

Inflated in summer 2008, the Lockport dome and its adjacent brick and mortar building house two adjustable turf infields, 12 batting cages, six clay mound bullpens, a weight-lifting facility and a 180-foot-by-90-foot multipurpose field. The complex also has a player's lounge, a Nike retail shop, computer classrooms and an agility and speed track.

Crown Point is looking to improve on that plan. In addition to a previously agreed-on large dome covering fields for baseball, softball, football and soccer, and courts for basketball and volleyball, a second dome has been added to the Crown Point floor plan, said Jim Thompson, a partner with Bo Jackson Elite Sports.

"We have elite programs and kids who go to big colleges and are drafted by the major leagues. They're at a disadvantage as far as their ability to train year round," Thompson said. "In truth, they're competing for colleges and opportunities with kids who play 12 months a year. Why allow weather alone to give that advantage?"

The new plan's second dome will cover about 14,000 square feet and connect to the larger dome adjacent to the baseball fields. It will contain six batting cages and two pitching mounds, said Peter Andreou, an architect with Design Organization Inc., the company designing the project. Andreou said the second dome brings the entire project to just less than 200,000 square feet.

Thompson said the second dome will allow the Crown Point complex to be a training facility for all sports as well as a tournament facility, which is one of the big differences between the two complexes. Lockport's facility was built with training in mind, specifically baseball training, because the major partners are primarily involved with baseball, Thompson said. Crown Point's would been designed for multiple uses for multiple sports.

"Soccer can train every (skill) of soccer on a field," he said. "Baseball needs pitching mounds and hitting cages."

Crown Point's dome will offer more flexibility than Lockport's, and Crown Point will be able to host more tournaments and for older kids, he said.

Even so, the Lockport facility continues to impress athletes and their parents alike.

On a recent Thursday, 15-year-old Alec Frazier, of Dwight, Ill., took pitching practice to get himself ready for the 17- and 18-year-olds he'll be throwing against when the sophomore moves up to the varsity team this year. His dad, Dan, has been driving him 35 minutes each way since November to use the facility.

"There's nothing of this capacity around us," Dan Frazier said.

For Alec, the reason he comes to the dome is simple.

"I needed a place to pitch, and it's great in ... the wintertime," he said.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:33 pm 

C.P. officials give initial approval to bond sale

CROWN POINT | City officials Monday gave initial approval to borrowing money to help pay for improving the North Street sports complex where a Bo Jackson facility has been proposed.

Before asking for final approval, however, Mayor David Uran said he will hold public forums in September to answer questions about plans for the complex.

"We want to keep this transparent," Uran said.

The initial approval by the City Council on Monday calls for a bond sale of up to $2 million to fund not only improvements to the sports complex but also construction of a municipal parking lot near downtown, the purchase of land and other expenses.

Improvements to the 95-acre sports complex would include more playing fields, better parking and better traffic control, Uran said. Hundreds of city youngsters participate in youth sports at the complex, which is outgrowing current capacity, Uran said.

Uran said he wants to make it clear to residents that a proposed Bo Jackson Legacy Athletic Center would occupy just 15 acres of the 95-acre complex.

Uran said people are mixing the two together. "They're getting confused," he said.

The forums planned for locations across the city are intended, in part, to explain that.

Plans for the $13.6 million Bo Jackson facility within the sports complex were unveiled late last year by Uran in what was described as a public-private arrangement calling for Bo Jackson Elite Sports to cover $3 million of the cost and the rest to come from private funds.

The creation of a tax increment financing district encompassing the entire 95 acres of the sports complex also won City Council approval Monday.

In a TIF district, increased property tax revenue stimulated by redevelopment is used to pay for improvements within the district.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm 

sparks wrote:

chickenshit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 am 

I am not comfortable with Greg Guerrettaz of FSG Corp. - who did the "due diligence" report on Plasmatronics - also doing the financial review of the Bo Jackson stadium proposal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next