Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crown Point lands sprawling sports complex
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:51 pm 

sparks wrote:
In my experience, when politicians spend money and claim taxes won't go up,they're lying.

So you are admitting that Obama is a liar?

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:09 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:
In my experience, when politicians spend money and claim taxes won't go up,they're lying.

He's a politician isn't he? This summer, Hammond hosted a large regional little league tournament. It attracted teams from all over the midwest. The traffic it generated was horrible,along with tons of parking problems. The city ended up closing several streets to try to deal with the congestion. BTW, have you ever seen one of these inflatable structures? They look really trashy. If your OK with your mayor spending a couple million dollars to inflate a 200,000 square foot condom in Crown Point, it's ok with me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm 

sparks wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:

He's a politician isn't he? This summer, Hammond hosted a large regional little league tournament. It attracted teams from all over the midwest. The traffic it generated was horrible,along with tons of parking problems. The city ended up closing several streets to try to deal with the congestion. BTW, have you ever seen one of these inflatable structures? They look really trashy. If your OK with your mayor spending a couple million dollars to inflate a 200,000 square foot condom in Crown Point, it's ok with me.

You did not answer Arclights question. Is Obama a liar, or is he not?

There indeed was a lot of traffic, but just for this one time event. I frequent this area, and the facilities are mostly unused.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm 

sparks wrote:

Isn't that par for the course for 'da Region?

Hammond spends millions on baseball fields which go unused for most of the year. They try to make their investment pay off just once and it blows up in everyone's faces. It reminds me of the "prestigious" beauty pageant the city of Gary hosted a few years back: part of the so-called festivities were held at Southlake Mall and the city had to paint over all the abandoned storefronts on Broadway. Whatta bunch of diverse bumblers!!

In both cases, I'm certain that the participants were happy to put NWI in their rearview mirrors, never to return.

As far as the 200,000 square foot condom, Hammond already has you. Maybe not quite 200,000 square feet, but as close as one person can get--and you are pure condom filler. If C.P. needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel and call you in for some basic wiring, you'll oblige them as quickly as you do the multi-national polluter/oil producer that allows you to feed your face now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:19 am 

Other people are also saying the same thing as I am, that this facility could easily fail and be a drain on taxpayers,look at what happened to the Omega Sports complex in Hobart which closed in 2005.One big difference is that the Omega closing did not leave the taxpayers on the hook for the bonds.
http://nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/article_c294630b-a90d-5cb6-b7c5-2422d2d62d7b.html
Former baseball player and current baseball instructor Dave Griffin, who runs a facility in Griffith, warned that an area oversaturated with indoor facilities could leave some areas boarded up.
Griffin cited the Omega Sports Complex in Hobart that opened in 1999 but by 2005 had been converted to an auto accessories and rim distribution center.
"When it gets saturated, people are going to shut down," Griffin said. "I don't know if Northwest Indiana is a destination point for teams from Tennessee or Florida. I would have liked to have been in on something like this 10 years ago, but now, I'm not so sure."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:26 am 

sparks wrote:
Former baseball player and current baseball instructor Dave Griffin, who runs a facility in Griffith, warned that an area oversaturated with indoor facilities could leave some areas boarded up.

LMAO...>!!!!!!!!

Gee, I wonder why the competition would be worried...?

Seems like Dave Griffin is worried about one thing and one thing only, his bottom line.

:smt005 :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 am 

USMarine wrote:
sparks wrote:

LMAO...>!!!!!!!!

Seems like Dave Griffin is worried about one thing and one thing only, his bottom line.

As he should be. He is a private businessman who invested his own money to build his business. He pays taxes and is now faced with competition from a business that is given free land, pays no property taxes and is going to receive millions of dollars of taxpayer support. I guess in your world, that's OK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 am 

In my world I think it's best for the people of Crown Point to decide what they want for their community.

I don't think splorks knows enough about the issue either one way or another.

USMarine wrote:
splorks wrote:
It's hard to fathom why anyone would donate money to help Bo Jackson line his pockets. He didn't even bother to show up for the press conference announcing the proposal

Quote:
Although he was scheduled to be present at the announcement, Jackson was recovering from surgery Wednesday, Thompson said.

"Bo Jackson couldn't be here, but Bo is here," Uran said.

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/art ... a7b1d.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:56 pm 

If Dave Griffin were any good, he need not worry. Bo is dumping 3.4 mil into the city and whatever else he can raise. It'll be interesting to see if the high school sports programs benefit from it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:59 pm 

I could even see the point if baseball in the region was any good. It isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:39 pm 

I see Spark's is getting a lot of crap for the way he feels on this issue. I don't normally agree with they way he thinks, however I can't help to agree about a good majority of what he is saying on this issue.
I never support taxpayer’s money to open such a business, and we can't argue that it did blow up in our faces once already! Right now everyone one is broke, especially the government here in Lake County. Crown Point had to make a good number of cut backs this year alone in city services. I'll bet if you wanted to place this big white blow up building in this city to run a business on your own it would never get approved.
I don't know much about the details of this deal, I just simply can't support more tax dollars going into a deal like this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:43 pm 

sparks wrote:
USMarine wrote:
sparks wrote:

LMAO...>!!!!!!!!

As he should be. He is a private businessman who invested his own money to build his business. He pays taxes and is now faced with competition from a business that is given free land, pays no property taxes and is going to receive millions of dollars of taxpayer support. I guess in your world, that's OK.

Well I don't think to many people can argue with that, but they will just because they don't like you and can't see between the lines. In the past we certainly have not seen eye to eye, but I have to agree with you on this one, and in my world that is not ok! ....but please tell me you're not an Obama fan?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm 

Politician's R Liars wrote:
....but please tell me you're not an Obama fan?

Here's a photo of him - judge for yourself.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:37 am 

Politician's R Liars wrote:
I see Spark's is getting a lot of crap for the way he feels on this issue. I don't normally agree with the way he thinks, however I can't help to agree about a good majority of what he is saying on this issue.
I never support taxpayer’s money to open such a business, and we can't argue that it did blow up in our faces once already! Right now everyone one is broke, especially the government here in Lake County. Crown Point had to make a good number of cut backs this year alone in city services. I'll bet if you wanted to place this big white blow up building in this city to run a business on your own it would never get approved.
I don't know much about the details of this deal, I just simply can't support more tax dollars going into a deal like this.

IMO, the only reason this ill conceived plan is being considered is because Bo Jackson is involved. The taxpayers of Crown Point are going to be responsible for a bond of over $3 million so that the politicians in Crown Point have rub elbows with a washed up has-been. The cost to heat and light a a structure this size can run over $10,000/month. I don't believe that little league teams will be willing to pay the fees necessary to maintain something like this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 pm 

sparks wrote:

tell me jerkwad....how is that any different from obamacare?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next