Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dan Klein loaned $500K in public funds to a drug co.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:36 am 

I got a flier in the mail That made the following claim, which I had never heard of.

I wasn't going to vote for him anyway because of how much I disagreed with him when he was mayor of CP.

He made me mad as hell when he tried to tear down parts of the square so trucks could drive faster on US231, and all of the public fund which were wasted on the "lakota project".

And it was still harder for me to see him as a "conservative" when he tried to piss away even more public fund by attempting to put arches over the roads on Main Street and US231.

For the last couple of weeks I have received 1 to 2 fliers in my mail per day from him where he tries to portray himself as a conservative while he shows me how wasteful he is.

But here is a claim I never heard of until I got another flier, and I wondered if any of you could enlighten me with the details of the story.

The flier reads as follows:

Quote:
Dan Klien loaned $500,000.00 in public money to a drug company that gave him a campaign donation.

As Crown Point mayor Dan Klien attended a close-door meeting with a drug company that wanted to borrow $500,000.00 from the public treasury.1

The loan was approved, and soon after the drug company donated to Dan Klien's political campaign.

Klien and the pharmaceutical company benefited, but the taxpayers risked hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Our tax dollars should go to schools and job development, not drug companies that give money to Dan Klien.

1. Associated Press 7/22/07

Dan Klien our tax dollars - his profit

Is this true?

Who was the drug company?

Why did they need the loan?

What kind of drugs did they make?

Are they made here in Crown Point?

If not, why did they ask the Mayor of Crown Point?

Did the loan get repaid?

How much did the drug company donate to Dan Klien's campaign, in exchange for the $500,000.00 loan?

I have not voted for a democrat, since I figured out that the democrats gave us the Gary, Indiana we enjoy today.

But as a conservative (you all know me) I cannot support this guy.

Is there a Libertarian candidate, or even a TEA Party candidate who is a true conservative?

Or am I going to have to pull the lever for a democrat?

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Dan Klein loaned $500K in public funds to a drug co.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 am 

Is there a Libertarian candidate, or even a TEA Party candidate who is a true conservative?

LOL True Tea Party candidates are more conservative than RINOs any day.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:12 pm 

ARCLIGHT, As you know I am not a fan of Dan Klein. It is true that Brogan Pharmaceutical Company - who manufactured a nuclear/radioactive drug on Arrowhead Court in Crown Point - applied for and received $500,000 from the Klein administration in 2006 and folded in 2008.

However, I know of no evidence, that Klein received any contribution or other funds whatsoever in connection with the loan or that there was any impropriety connected with the loan. I cannot find any AP report or any other report about any Brogan Pharmaceuticals payoff whatsoever.

I believe that for the comments on this chatboard to be credible, the FACTS must be as accurate as possible whatever the political consequences. Historically, this chatboard has been more accurate on these matters than the press.

Klein has enough problems with ethics and competence without making them up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:37 pm 

Public Oversight wrote:
ARCLIGHT, As you know I am not a fan of Dan Klein. It is true that Brogan Pharmaceutical Company - who manufactured a nuclear/radioactive drug on Arrowhead Court in Crown Point - applied for and received $500,000 from the Klein administration in 2006 and folded in 2008.

However, I know of no evidence, that Klein received any contribution or other funds whatsoever in connection with the loan or that there was any impropriety connected with the loan. I cannot find any AP report or any other report about any Brogan Pharmaceuticals payoff whatsoever.

I believe that for the comments on this chatboard to be credible, the FACTS must be as accurate as possible whatever the political consequences. Historically, this chatboard has been more accurate on these matters than the press.

Thank you for the info.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:06 pm 

Public Oversight wrote:

Is that why his signs are plastered all over the place? This scum will get elected because this world is crazy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:59 pm 
Banned

Politician's R Liars wrote:
Public Oversight wrote:

Is that why his signs are plastered all over the place? This scum will get elected because this world is crazy!

Nonsense! The latest poll shows the District 19 race is a toss-up and can go either way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 am 

Correction:

The "Citizens For Klein" records of political contributions filed with the Lake County Board of Election Commissioners show contributions from both Brogan Pharmaceuticals and Brogan's President Brett Dines after the $500,000 was loaned to Brogan Pharmaceuticals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 am 

Public Oversight wrote:
Correction:

The "Citizens For Klein" records of political contributions filed with the Lake County Board of Election Commissioners show contributions from both Brogan Pharmaceuticals and Brogan's President Brett Dines after the $500,000 was loaned to Brogan Pharmaceuticals.

Brogan Pharmaceuticals defaulted on the loan in August 2009 and Crown Point lost the entire $500,000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
Banned

There is a reason why Crown Point gets Brogan Pharmaceuticals, Bo Jackson and Plasmatronics. And why Crown Point is rejected by top flight companies like Dawn Foods and Gordon Foods.

It is because top flight businessmen will only deal with top flight public officials - not fifth rate pay-to-play political scum like Uran and Klein.

On the other hand, Tipton County, Indiana landed a $500,000,000, 900,000 square foot solar panel plant that will employe 850 workers because pointperson on the deal, Gayle Van Sessen, is a credible and scrupulously honest public official.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:46 pm 

cheerleader wrote:
because pointperson on the deal, Gayle Van Sessen, is a credible and scrupulously honest public official.

I voted for her.

I went to her office in the court house to get one of her signs, she hadn't any at the time, and she walked one over to my place of employment and hand delivered it to me later that day.

It is too bad Dan Klien smeared her good name so badly in the primary that Uran won instead.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
Banned

And Klein can't understand why people comment on 1) his being under investigation by the FBI for the missing money, machinery and Eric Hammond in the Plasmatronics debacle, 2) his refusal to allow a sign in front of the Fire Department honoring the fallen 9/11/ heroes, 3) Klein's attempt to tear down a corner of the Crown Point Square, 4) the arches over U.S. 231 and Main Street, 5) the lie about seizing houses to widen Summit Street that wound up actually going to a developer who contributed to his campaign and so many other lies, deceptions and stupidities.

Klein isn't that big. Where does he have room for all the dumb?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:33 pm 

It appears the Dan Klein got a kick-back on the Brogan Pharmaceutical loan.

$380,000 has vanished from the Plasmatronics loan that Dan Klein pushed through as well as missing expensive machinery and Eric Hammond, Dan Klein's Economic Development Director. All gone!

Over $250,000 has been paid by Dave Uran to his lawyers on the Plasmatronics case - wh\ich lawyers contribute to Citizens for Uran. All they seem likely to recover of the $380,000 Plasmatronics loan plus $250,000 in legal fees is $10,000.

Now City Attorney Dave Nicholls and City Judge Kent Jeffirs want to dissolve the Crown Point Development Corporation that made the loan and are demanding all documents related to Plasmatronics be turned in and taken out of circulation as part of a cover-up.

Are there no honest people left in Crown Point's city government?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:14 am 
Banned

Crown Point = East Chicago (South)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:33 pm 

The kick-back from Brogan Pharmaceuticals to Klein shows right up on Klein's Campaign contributions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:02 pm 
Banned

Are kickbacks illegal in Lake Couinty?

Dave Uran gets kickbacks from lots of Crown Point contractors.

You have to go back before Uran, Klein or Metros to find a Crown Point mayor that didn't demand "What's in it for me?"