Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hanover Community School condems land for baseball field
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:58 pm 
I was disturbed to learn that the school board is condemning a family farm for a baseball field and offering to pay the family half of what they wanted for it. Condemnation should only be used when no other option exists. In this case it seems to be a blatant abuse of government power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:46 am 

This does not seem legally possible, are you sure you have gotten the right information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:04 pm 
Public entities like schools, cities, utilities, highway deaprtments and such have the power of eminent domain. This allows them to take peoples land and pay them appraised market value if the property is for a "public use". Sometime it is necessary and makes for good public policy but it has the potential for abuse like in my opinion this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:31 pm 

"Fair market value" is the legal term, but is a poor way to determine land value. My home is worth what I can sell it for. The school corp is now engaged in a land grab. The school may win in court, if it comes to that. Or, they may not. This land is for a baseball field, not a school. Therefore the rules of eminent domain may not apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:02 pm 

I think the school board is getting a little too big for their britches! Attempting to condem a family farm for a baseball field is down right wrong! They already are spending a fortune on the schools rehab job that looks like s***. I hope they wake up before they make bigger mistakes.

Post subject: Re: Hanover Community School condems land for baseball field
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:57 am 

allstar wrote:
I was disturbed to learn that the school board is condemning a family farm for a baseball field and offering to pay the family half of what they wanted for it. Condemnation should only be used when no other option exists. In this case it seems to be a blatant abuse of government power.

It's not a family farm, the family that ownes the property does not farm it they have rented the field for decades. It's being condemed because the family rejected the purchase offer. Might be greed on someone's part!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:01 am 

A baseball field looks like alot more fun. DESTROY the farm!!! :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm 

ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:22 pm 

Why would the board sell four acres of land at $75,000 an acre to the Library and then attempt to condem this mans property so they can build a baseball field. Another example of poor planning by this board! Where do they get off wanting to give him $11,000 an acre but sold identicle property for $75,000 an acre. I am behind the family on this one. I hope Rex Bennet wins, the superintendent is a real phoney and the sooner people see how bad he is screwing the town over the better off they will be!

Post subject: base ball
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:45 am 

i am for the farm too... i believe we need a better town council that looks in depth at problems like these... :cry: i am sad for the farm tht is gettng ripped off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:13 am 

Well, its not really used for farming any longer according to the paper(CL Journal), it seems Bennett had the zoning changed to business and plans on putting in new businesses and some homes. I believe our town would benefit much more with that idea than a baseball field. We have enough fields for ball, how about some more town revenue, so CL can make the much needed improvements within the town.

Post subject: Re: base ball
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:50 pm 

tudi wrote:
i am for the farm too... i believe we need a better town council that looks in depth at problems like these... :cry: i am sad for the farm tht is gettng ripped off.

It's not the farmer that's being ripped off, it was the original owner (an old lady) of the property that got ripped of by the used car salesman ( the one with the beard) who stole it that is NOW playing the martyr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:51 am 

Zippy wrote:
Well, its not really used for farming any longer according to the paper(CL Journal), it seems Bennett had the zoning changed to business and plans on putting in new businesses and some homes. I believe our town would benefit much more with that idea than a baseball field. We have enough fields for ball, how about some more town revenue, so CL can make the much needed improvements within the town.

Yeah, let's build some more storage units and bars. I think a real nice baseball field is the first step in a successful baseball program and athletic program, which would help bring in residents, which would bring in tax dollars. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the board, whoever runs things! I like what I see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:44 am 

It's not the attractiveness of the facility that lends to a successful athletic program. A good team plays well anywhere, under any conditions. Hanover had baseball before, so improving the playing field may lend to the estetics of the school, but does not automatically breed a winning team. However, I would object less to the school boards actions if they were after this land to construct a FOOTBALL field. That is a program the school does not have. To my knowledge Hanover is the ONLY school in Lake County without a football program. That discourages many people from moving here. People moving here increases our tax base. The school board, just like the Town Council keep leading the same old horse down the same old beaten path and call it progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:15 am 

The Owl wrote:
It's not the attractiveness of the facility that lends to a successful athletic program. A good team plays well anywhere, under any conditions. Hanover had baseball before, so improving the playing field may lend to the estetics of the school, but does not automatically breed a winning team. However, I would object less to the school boards actions if they were after this land to construct a FOOTBALL field. That is a program the school does not have. To my knowledge Hanover is the ONLY school in Lake County without a football program. That discourages many people from moving here. People moving here increases our tax base. The school board, just like the Town Council keep leading the same old horse down the same old beaten path and call it progress.

I think I failed to make my point clear. I mean a new school, baseball field, field house, gymnasium, will all help to bring in more residents and then, as a result of an increased student body, be more competitive. And yes, football would as well.