Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DOUBLE STANDARDS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:01 am 

Dennis Conklin of Chesterton, Indiana came to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's defense concerning a derogatory comment made by a caller to Quickly. Mr. Conklin elaborated on the awesome academic future Dr. Rice could have chosen opposed to, as he stated, "serving her country."

He stated that Dr. Rice is an inspiration to all people. His admiration for Dr. Rice is obvious. Her acheivements are reflective of his comments and the time he spent to write his letter.

But I wonder if she would be welcome to move next door to him in Chesterton, Indiana?

Dwight Taylor
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:59 am 

Dwight,

I don't know Dennis Conklin so I can't answer for him....but why would you suggest that there is a double standard? I guess I am confused?!?

Post subject: CLARIFICATION
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:08 am 

He has one set of principles advocating the accomplishments and credentials of an African American, and another discriminatory set that opposes the intergration of his predominantly white community by the same African American.

I agree my point doesn't coincide with the traditional meaning of double standards, but it does reflect his dual standards of admiration and acceptability.

Dwight Taylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:23 am 

Thanks for clearing that up. My question (and it is a genuine question since I don't know the answer) is has Mr. Conklin stated that he doesn't want African-Americans in his community/living next door to him? If he has, then I would agree that he is using a double standard. If he hasn't, then I don't see it.

Post subject: ASSUMPTION
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 am 

Dewey,

I know I shouldn't but I am not only generalizing the entire population of Chesterton because of a racial incident that occurred several years ago, but also by the population of African Americans that presently reside in Chesterton.

African Americans have been systematically stigmatized to be inferior to Caucasians for many years. The damage caused by this conspiracy is the foundation for a great portion of the racial disparity that exist in America.

Dwight

Last edited by Dwight on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:24 am 

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the point you are trying to make about racism. Are there racists in Chesterton/Porter County/Northwest Indiana? Yes. Are all caucasians in Chesterton/Porter County/Northwest Indiana racist? No. I don't know the incident that you are referring to years ago - but I wouldn't be shocked to know that there was one. There are small minded people everywhere. I do understand the frustration that the African-American community must feel. I empathize.

But, to paint every caucasian in Chesterton/Porter County/Northwest Indiana as racist isn't necessarily the answer either.

Racism is bred by fear, by lack of education and by small minded people who have a need to raise themselves up on the backs of others. Racists are bullies and ignoramuses without the mental capacity to understand anything that takes an ounce of thought.

I guess what I am trying to get across is that I understand the frustration. Please don't paint everyone with the same brush.

Have a great day. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:18 am 

Last edited by NeoRayden on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: GRATITUDE
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:57 pm 

Dewey,

I appreciate and respect your liberal opinion.

Thanks,

Dwight

Post subject: Thanks, Dwight
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:53 pm 

Dwight - I respect your opinion as well. I do know that there are people with racist attitudes in Porter County - but I guess you will find them all over. Isn't right, but it's a fact. I also appreciate being able to discuss these issues in an open forum.

Racists come in all colors, nationalities and sexes. Discrimination is not something to be tolerated.

I think that when you see a community that appears to be racist, some of it is true racism. Some of it is fear - mostly of the unknown. Some of it is ingrained from the upbringing the person had. Some of it is shear and utter stupidity.

I can't defend it. Won't defend it either. It just goes along with all other stereotypes. Most of the time those who are stereotyping get it wrong.

Now here's one for you. I don't think anyone who knows me would classify me as being liberal. Liberals don't have exclusive rights to good thought. I tend to be pretty conservative in a lot of ways, but I grow more tolerant of diversity every day.

My motto: Every human being has value. The only thing that can lessen a person's value is their own actions.

Post subject: INTERPRETATION
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:24 pm 

Dewey,

Your broad-minded views and ideology may lean slightly to the right but your responses to this matter are indicative of a necesssity for social change.

Dwight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:36 am 

No doubt at all that we need societal change. Now if I could just get everyone to do what I want. :wink:

Post subject: Re: DOUBLE STANDARDS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:31 pm 

Hey
I am just posting to bump May1846 off of the main index

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: DOUBLE STANDARDS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 pm 

We do not have double standards in general, however many blacks want to view it that way. Blacks must remove the words "racial discrimination" from their everyday thought and face the facts.
Sure many blacks are hard working, many of the elderly are on pensions after spending many many years
in the work force. In general, some whites view blacks as one of the same. Gang Bangers, Dope Heads and just plain lazey. The same opinion happens in the white community about other whites. If a member of a well to do family robs a bank, the entire family is mainly viewed as crooks, ever though they had nothing to do with the crime. With blacks, they have so many crimes within their community on a daily basis, they ignore this with their code of silence and let bad things continue to happen. They let communities go from good to bad in a very short time. So why blame whites for their attitude against blacks. I hear the same thing daily, the blacks are under privelaged. They have no jobs and the list goes on and on. Why is it when a black store owner puts his heart and sole in a business in the black community and what happens, he's out of business in a short time.
Where do you find the blacks shopping? In the white community. Their answer,they say it's to dangerous where we live.
Blacks need to find a real leader to take over that is for them. O'h yes they have Obama, but I think the leadership he is providing to the country, exemplifies his true leadership. I think it's bad. But now with him in mind I don't characterize the entire community for his downfall.